Labels

Wednesday 2 December 2015

Observations from reading Little White Lies

Due to the ancillary task being to write a review in the format and style of the reviews published in Little White Lies, I found it necessary to take the time to read previous reviews. The style of writing is personal and informal; the writers tend to ask a variety of rhetorical questions in their reviews in order to get the audience thinking as well as sharing their honest opinion. This will be hard to achieve as we have to look at our own film- that we ourselves have produced - from an outsiders angle. 
      Some reviews take small parts of the film to talk about in detail on whether they have or haven't worked out whereas some are more factual about the narrative, I assume this depends on the films genre/narrative along with the writer themselves, but either way it is giving me a clearer view on how to approach this task. Others have comedic touches, and hints of sarcasm mimicking the movies aura; in a review for the film 'Submarine' the writer says "...sometimes pretends to have Cotard's syndrome: a type of autism, hes dictionary tells him, that convinces people they are dead" it is factual information about the film but the added in detail makes reference to the film as well as making it informal. 
       What appears in all of the reviews are the use of brackets when referencing films and actors as well as italics for film titles. As we know all the reviews have the same layout of appearance but from reading individual ones it is clear to see they each add their own characteristics therefore, when writing my own review I aim to be personal with my writing and make it my own. 
       Reading Little White Lies has helped me further understand the style they produce and what I need to aim for when it comes to writing my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment